Thursday, May 29, 2014

13 of Maya Angelou's best quotes

13 of Maya Angelou's best quotes: Prolific American author, poet and civil rights activist Maya Angelou has died at 86.

She was known for her inspiring words that shed light onto the beauty and injustices of the world. USA TODAY Network lists 13 of her best quotes:

1. "I believe that each of us comes from the creator trailing wisps of glory."

- Interview with the Academy of Achievement (1990)

2. "I am a Woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal Woman,
that's me."

- Phenomenal Woman, poem (1978)

3. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

- Interview for Beautifully Said Magazine (2012)

4. "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."

- Excerpted from Letter to My Daughter, a book of essays (2009)

5. "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and
to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some
style."

- Angelou's Facebook (2011)

6. "The need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind."

- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969)


7. "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

- Letter to My Daughter, a book of essays (2009)

8. "I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt
on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back."

- Interview with Oprah for Angelou's 70th birthday (2000)

9. "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."

- The Art of Fiction No. 119, the Paris Review

10. "You are the sum total of everything you've ever seen, heard, eaten,
smelled, been told, forgot - it's all there. Everything influences each
of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are
positive."

- Interview from the April 2011 edition of O, the Oprah Magazine (2011)

11. "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with
potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with
consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

- Interview in USA TODAY (March 5, 1988)

12. "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."

- Angelou's Facebook (Jan. 11, 2013)

13. "Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."

- Date unknown