Saturday, February 18, 2012

Black History or American History: What's the Difference? | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS

Black History or American History: What's the Difference? | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS: I've often wondered what it meant that the month we set aside to take special note of African-American achievement is the one that's usually only 28 days long.

As a child, I took that kind of personally. As an adult, I have another view. Black history is worth appreciating in a society that overlooks minority accomplishment. But it is also American history.

I have given countless speeches touching on black history themes -- probably the bulk of them after I wrote a book a few years ago about the new wave of black politicians coming of age.

Like clockwork I am often asked: "Why do we talk about race at all?" And my answer is always the same: The only things we hate talking about are the things we fear.

Talking openly about race, it seems, should be something we all aspire to. It allows us to learn. I was reminded of that sitting across the PBS NewsHour desk this week from Doug Blackmon, the author of "Slavery By Another Name" and co-producer of the film of the same name that aired on PBS this week. Blackmon, a white Mississippi native, discovered the story of post-emancipation enslavement while researching a story for The Wall Street Journal about coal mining in the South.