Saturday, February 25, 2012

Baltimore County students honor teachers from segregation era - baltimoresun.com

Baltimore County students honor teachers from segregation era - baltimoresun.com: After he graduated from the old Sollers Point Junior-Senior High School in 1953, Ed "Eddie" Bartee went to work for Bethlehem Steel Corp. in Sparrows Point, where he became a representative for the steelworkers' union and was responsible for a $2 million budget.

"That was a lot of money for a poor boy with a high school education," Bartee recalled Saturday. "I owe it all to my teachers. ... There's no question that the training I got carried me a long way. I'm thankful. I'm blessed."

Bartee was one of more than 200 who gathered Saturday in the Turners Station community of Dundalk to pay tribute to retired African-American educators who taught in four Baltimore County schools before they were desegregated in the 1960s.