Friday, August 01, 2014

Powerball Win Helps Marilyn Fields Spread Her Love for Shaw University - Higher Education

Powerball Win Helps Marilyn Fields Spread Her Love for Shaw University - Higher Education: Marilyn Fields never dreamed of becoming a millionaire. But a twist of fate, and a lucky choice of a Powerball ticket, sent $2 million her way in early July.

The first check she wrote was to her alma mater, Shaw University. Fields’ ties to Shaw run deep. She is the executive assistant of Shaw president Dr. Gaddis J. Faulcon and has worked at Shaw for the past 33 years.

“I graduated in May, 1976, and started to work here in June, 1976,” Fields said. “I met my husband here, my son graduated from Shaw, and I have my job here, so it’s in our blood.”

With her check, Fields fully endowed a $25,000 scholarship fund she had started earlier this year.

“This lottery has provided me the opportunity to go ahead and satisfy my financial obligation for this scholarship,” she said. The scholarship is need based and will be available to any student who is able to maintain a C average.