Sunday, August 31, 2014

How 'Sassy' Came To Mean Something Both Sweet And Sour : Code Switch : NPR

How 'Sassy' Came To Mean Something Both Sweet And Sour : Code Switch : NPR: In our semi-regular Word Watch feature, we take a look at a word or phrase that's caught our attention, whether for its history, usage, etymology, or just because it has an interesting story.

I'm sometimes described as "sassy," and when that happens I choose to take it as a compliment. I always think of Sarah "Sassy" Vaughan's spirit, verve and "sass."

You see, "sassy" started out as "saucy," according to the Oxford English Dictionary, which defines it as:

"Impudent, saucy, 'cheeky.'"
"Outspoken, provocative."
"Conceited, pretentious."
"Self-assured, spirited, bold."
"Vigorous, lively."
"Stylish, 'chic'."

I always assume the part that begins with "self-assured" and ends with "chic" is what people are saying about me. ::blinks innocently::