Tuesday, February 25, 2014

African-Americans split on health - Lifestyles - Lifestyles in and around Florida A&M University - The Famuan - The Student Voice of Florida A&M University

African-Americans split on health - Lifestyles - Lifestyles in and around Florida A&M University - The Famuan - The Student Voice of Florida A&M University: Keivon Bell makes it a priority to eat the right foods.

The junior psychology student from Moore Haven, Fla., said being on his own in college has made him much more conscious of what he puts in his body.

However, not all African-American students have the same mindset. The American Heart Association found that in African-Americans age 20 and above, 44.4 percent of men and 48.9 percent of women suffer from cardiovascular disease.

“I always had my mom to make my meals, so I didn’t really think about the nutrition factor,” Bell said. “Now I know I have to eat right so my mind, body and soul will stay healthy.”

A poor diet can lead to obesity and increased risk of cancer and heart disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which also reported that heart disease is the leading cause of death in African-Americans. But eating right isn’t always the easiest thing to do.