Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Hefty Debt Dissuades Blacks from Attending Med School - Higher Education

Hefty Debt Dissuades Blacks from Attending Med School - Higher Education: From the time he was a child, Dennis Brown always had dreams of someday becoming a surgeon. Back then, he would insist on being the neighborhood doctor, pretending to operate on his classmates during playtime at school.

“A lot of people say they want to be a doctor because it’s almost the expected thing to say,” he says. “But I really saw myself in the emergency room, wanting to help people. It’s something that I used to think about all of the time.”

But three years after graduating from college, Brown, 25, has made a decision that has even baffled his parents: he’s opted to remain in the working world and not attend medical school, putting his plans of becoming a physician on hold—perhaps indefinitely.

“I have so many loans from my undergraduate years, and the cost of medical school is simply too much,” Brown says matter-of-factly. “I’m not trying to be in debt for the rest of my life. I want to get married someday and not saddle my family with that kind of pressure.”