Thursday, September 12, 2013

Brennan: It's time I stopped calling team 'Redskins'

Brennan: It's time I stopped calling team 'Redskins': ...But when I said the nickname this summer during a panel discussion, I stopped myself. For the first time, it didn't seem right to say it.

Why then? Why not last year? Or five years ago? Or when I covered the team? I think it was the cumulative effect of all the reporting on the issue in the past year or so, solid journalism that continually brings to the surface just how racist the term is to many in the Native American community. And even if only some Native Americans think it's RACIST, here's news for the rest of us, whether we want to hear it and deal with it or not: it's racist.

So, now that the 2013 NFL season has begun, it makes sense to me to stop using the word.

This is a personal decision, as it was for some of my colleagues in the sports media, led by Sports Illustrated's Peter King. I'm guessing others will eventually make this call. Why? It's the right thing to do. If that's not reason enough, try explaining and defending the nickname to a child. It's impossible.