Sunday, September 29, 2013

Black models charge fashion industry with ‘racism’ as Paris designers defend selections | The Raw Story

Black models charge fashion industry with ‘racism’ as Paris designers defend selections | The Raw Story: Paris fashion this week tiptoed around the scarcity of black models on the catwalk with reaction reflecting the growing controversy surrounding the issue highlighted by models Naomi Campbell and Iman.

Designers told AFP their only concern was to find models who embodied the spirit of their creations irrespective of skin colour.

And one industry professional put the lack of black faces down to a minimalist trend that has sparked a demand for Asian models.

“I don’t only do shows for white girls, but I don’t do quotas (either). I choose girls that please me,” said Belgian designer Anthony Vaccarello, whose show included Asian and mixed race models.

Another designer, Damir Doma, told AFP: “I never judge anyone by skin… I’m looking for the right personality.”
Doma’s show featured one black and two Asian models but the number could me “be more or less”, he said.

“It depends on the season and the girl that comes to the casting. If she’s right for the clothes I would definitely take her,” he said.