Monday, November 05, 2012

HBCUs on Front Lines of Fight Against Prostate Cancer - Higher Education

HBCUs on Front Lines of Fight Against Prostate Cancer - Higher Education: Finding a cure for prostate cancer is personal for Clayton Yates, Ph.D., a researcher at Tuskegee University who also teaches cell and cancer biology. He is among the researchers at HBCUs who are dedicated to eradicating health disparities in prostate cancer—a disease that adversely impacts African-American males more than any other group.

Those HBCU institutions leading the charge in prostate cancer research include Tuskegee, Clark Atlanta, Hampton and Howard universities and Morehouse School of Medicine.

“I chose to focus on prostate cancer after my grandfather passed away of the disease,” says Yates, who is a principal investigator in a lab dedicated to prostate cancer research at Tuskegee University. “I was a student here at the time that he died, and I wanted to understand what could be done. I’ve dedicated my life to this research. ”