Thursday, November 01, 2012

Attempts to retake “N-word” understandable, but misguided - The Rebel Yell

Attempts to retake “N-word” understandable, but misguided - The Rebel Yell: As a positive person, I try to live my life in such a way as to not let anything get under my skin. However, try as I might, I have never been able to shake off the great disdain that I hold for the the “N word.”

Where it was once used as a derogatory term for African-Americans, the word “nigger” has transformed into the more commonplace “nigga.” This newer version of the “N word” can be heard in songs, movies and even on campus. “Later, nigga,’” a student will shout to their friend as they head to class. “Nigga, please,” a student will exclaim in response to a question.

Now, as an African-American, I do not feel offended when I hear this term floating around (unless it’s being directed at me — then we’ve got a problem). Instead, I tend to feel saddened by the ignorance of the people from whose mouths this word flows.