Wednesday, October 10, 2012

With Affirmative Action, India's Rich Gain School Slots Meant for Poor - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With Affirmative Action, India's Rich Gain School Slots Meant for Poor - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: CHENNAI, India -- The two women both claim that affirmative action cost them coveted spots at elite public universities. Both cases have now reached the Supreme Court.

One of the women, Abigail Fisher, 22, who is white, says she was denied admission to the University of Texas based on her race, and on Wednesday, the United States Supreme Court is to hear her plea in what may be the year's most important decision. The other woman is from the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, and two weeks ago the Indian Supreme Court ordered that she be admitted to medical school pending the outcome of a broader court review.

"When I came to know that I could not get into any medical college, I was really shocked," C. V. Gayathri, the Indian student, said in an interview. "I didn't speak to anyone for a week. I cried. I was very depressed."