Friday, September 16, 2011

The Limbaugh, Michael Moore, Bill Maher Convergence on Obama and Race | Mother Jones

The Limbaugh, Michael Moore, Bill Maher Convergence on Obama and Race | Mother Jones: On Wednesday, I noted that Rush Limbaugh's latest stereotypical race parody featured President Barack Obama as blaxploitation detective John Shaft, even though just about the only two things they have in common is that they're both black.

Ta-Nehisi Coates observes that Michael Moore and Bill Maher, in expressing their disappointment with Obama, embrace the same basic idea. Unable to limit their criticisms to Obama's politics, on The View, (in a clip flagged by Angry Black Lady) Moore repeated Maher's statement that "I went into the polls voting for the black guy, and what I got was the white guy." Coates writes:

I know Michael Moore and Bill Maher think this is a great line...But it really isn't. In fact, it's racist, and Michael Moore would do well to stop repeating it. It really is no better than the Kenyan anti-colonial bit, and in fact is good deal worse. I said this yesterday on twitter, but it would be as if my Jewish accountant messed up my taxes and I said, "Dude, you're Jewish, what the hell?!?!"