Saturday, May 25, 2013

'Las Caras Lindas': To Be Black And Puerto Rican In 2013 : Code Switch : NPR

'Las Caras Lindas': To Be Black And Puerto Rican In 2013 : Code Switch : NPR: " I am a black man
Who was born café con leche
I sneaked into a party, to which I had not been invited.
And I got kicked out. They threw me out.
When I went back to have fun with the black girls
All together they said 'Maelo, go back to your white girls'
And they kicked me out. They threw me out."

- Ismael Rivera, "Niche"

In "Niche" ("Black Man"), iconic Puerto Rican singer Ismael Rivera navigates the labyrinth of race and ethnicity in the Caribbean. A light-skinned "café con leche" black man, he wanders through his island like a ghost of a colonial Spanish past, shooed off by both blacks and whites uncomfortable with his presence and what he represents.