Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gateway Program Provides Pathway to College for ‘At Risk’ Students

Gateway Program Provides Pathway to College for ‘At Risk’ Students: ...That all changed five years ago when Gibson enrolled in the Gateway to College Academy on the Clarkston campus of Georgia Perimeter College (GPC), a community college just outside Atlanta. The academy helps students like Gibson get back on track by helping them simultaneously earn both high school and college credits. Many eventually graduate with enough credits to transfer into GPC or other colleges as sophomores.

“I liked that [the staff] had the confidence in me that I could do it,” says Gibson, now a junior psychology major at Clayton State University. He plans to pursue master’s and doctorate degrees and then settle into a career in social work or psychology.

“I liked the constant support and the fact that they won’t tolerate any nonsense. If I were to be dramatic, I’d say that the program saved my life.”