Friday, November 26, 2010

Embracing The Africa In African-American : Tell Me More : NPR

Embracing The Africa In African-American : Tell Me More : NPR: 'I'm not Black or American, I'm an African.'

These were the words I proudly uttered, as a young adolescent sitting in the kitchen of our home. The response however, wasn't quite what I expected.

'You know, there are a lot of Africans who would resent you saying that,' my mother replied.

The Africans she was referring to, of course, were those born on the continent. But what I would come to realize, is that she wasn't so much discouraging me from defining myself as an African as much as she was challenging me to examine what made me African.

Fast-forward to a few days ago.

'Are you black Americans or white Americans?'

That was the question put to me and other African-Americans, in a junior high classroom in Accra, Ghana.