Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Educate black men now, or we'll all pay later - USATODAY.com

Educate black men now, or we'll all pay later - USATODAY.com: As I read the Council of the Great City Schools report on the problems of black males in urban schools, my mind raced back to a day in the fall of 2006 when I took my then-13-year-old daughter to her piano lesson.

Arriving early, we stopped at a Friendly's restaurant to get ice cream. When the young black male who waited on us said the cones cost $3.32, I handed him a $5 bill. But as he tried to input this payment, his cash register malfunctioned and wouldn't tell him the correct change.

The young man's eyes glistened as he mumbled barely audible sounds of his struggle to manually compute the difference. Then, as customers in line behind us began to voice their frustration, my daughter threw him a lifeline. 'You owe us $1.68,' she said softly.