Friday, August 23, 2013

UC Berkeley Law School Dean Edley Taking Leave of Absence - Higher Education

UC Berkeley Law School Dean Edley Taking Leave of Absence - Higher Education: A giant in civil rights, equity and diversity issues, Christopher Edley Jr. has cut short his term as dean of the University of California, Berkeley law school as he battles prostate cancer.

Edley will remain as faculty at the law school where he has been dean since 2004. His medical leave of absence began this week, and he has scaled back his deanship to officially end in December. Originally, his term was supposed to expire next year.

In a letter to law school faculty and staff, Edley described his health as “more than worrisome, but much less than dire.”

He went on to explain, “As some of you know, I had surgery for prostate cancer in May but need further treatment. This must be my priority. I expect (doctors) will vanquish the malady within a few months (but) I am not prepared to return to the deanship. These developments have reminded me again how short life can be, and for that reason, I feel an urgency to turn to other professional goals I will pursue while continuing with you as a faculty colleague. Chief among these will be public education equity and excellence.”