Saturday, January 05, 2013

Escaping Slavery - NYTimes.com


Escaping Slavery - NYTimes.com: America has slavery on the brain these days.

There were the recent releases of the movies “Lincoln” (which I found enlightening and enjoyable) and “Django Unchained” (which I found a profound love story with an orgy of excesses and muddled moralities). I guess my preferences reflect my penchant for subtlety. Sometimes a little bit of an unsettling thing goes a long way, and a lot goes too far. Aside from its gratuitous goriness, “Django Unchained” reportedly used the N-word more than 100 times. “Lincoln” used it only a handful. I don’t know exactly where my threshold is, but I think it’s well shy of the century mark. 

And there was this week the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, one of the most important documents in this country’s archives.