Wednesday, December 12, 2012

TV meteorologist fired after responding to racial remarks on Facebook | The Raw Story

TV meteorologist fired after responding to racial remarks on Facebook | The Raw Story: A black meteorologist said she was fired from her job at an ABC affiliate in Louisiana after responding to racially-problematic remarks left on the station’s Facebook page.

The Maynard Institute blog Journal-isms reported on Tuesday that Rhonda Lee was fired from her job at KTBS-TV on Nov. 28 without being shown the station’s social media policy, which management said forbids on-air personnel from responding to viewer comments online.

“They told me the policy I violated isn’t written down, but was mentioned in a newsroom meeting about a month-and-a-half prior,” Lee said of a Dec. 7 meeting she had with General Sales Manager George Sirven and News Director Randy Bain. “A meeting I didn’t attend. So when I asked what rule did I break there isn’t anything to point to.”