Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Black Italian player vows to walk off field if racially abused | The Raw Story

Black Italian player vows to walk off field if racially abused | The Raw Story: Mario Balotelli, named in Italy’s 23-man squad for the European Football Championships, has threatened to walk off the pitch if he is racially abused by fans.

The 21-year-old Manchester City star said in an interview withFrance Football magazine that he reacted differently when Juventusfans targeted him with racist chants during a match for his former club Inter Milan in 2009.

“I pretended not to see anything,” he was quoted as saying. “I wanted to play. I was young. It was for me to tell (the referee). Racism is unacceptable. I can’t abide it.”

But he added: “If it happens again, I’d leave the pitch straight away and I’d go home. This is 2012. It can’t happen.”

Fears over racism and violence in co-hosts Poland and Ukraine have mounted this week after the BBC aired a documentary showing fans in both countries making Nazi salutes and monkey chants at black players.