Friday, October 16, 2009

More Teachers Turning to Sign Language to Manage Classrooms - washingtonpost.com


More Teachers Turning to Sign Language to Manage Classrooms - washingtonpost.com: Teachers come to the classroom with noble goals: closing the achievement gap, illuminating young minds. But first they must confront a more pressing problem: how to manage children's urgent requests, in the middle of the most carefully planned lessons, for permission to sharpen pencils, get drinks of water or visit the bathroom.

One solution, a growing number of teachers are finding, is learning to speak without sound.

'The very first year I taught, I realized how much time I was wasting in my classroom for my students to be constantly raising their hands,' said Fran Nadel, 25, a second-grade teacher at Woodburn School for the Fine and Communicative Arts in Falls Church. 'I realized if they could do this without talking, I could send them somewhere with a flick of my finger.'